Billen Cliffs Village Environment Statement
As adopted at AGM 28th May 2005
The Billen Cliffs Owners Corporation is committed to environmental
sustainability. We recognise that sustainable resolutions to environmental
issues can be brought about through a cultural agenda. This provides
us not only with opportunities to engage and advocate in this area,
but a responsibility to do so.
In managing the property our first responsibility is to create a
safe and healthy common area for the residents. As land managers
we believe we have an obligation to conserve and enhance the natural
Through this policy we set out to become a leader amongst intentional
communities and eco villages in environmental matters.
1. Enhance the Environment
1.1 Through replacement of vegetation, erosion
and weed control develop the site in a manner such that the natural
environment enhances community operations and showcases the site;
Impacts and Provide Net Gains Where Possible
2.1. Aim to contribute more to the environment
than that which community living impacts on the environment;
3. Provide Educative Opportunities
3.1. The inclusion of consideration of environmental
issues in all of our activities;
3.2. Profile the environment through cultural
3.3. Enhance and expand the current environmental
programmes with our activities.
4. Lead by example
4.1. The building of a sustainable destination
being the Billen Cliffs Village with a very high community profile
and housing institutions and events.
Strategies to Enhance the Environment
• Continue a vigorous tree-planting regime on the Billen
commons through an annual tree planting festival and other activities
as deemed appropriate. This programme:
• Creates shade for residents health and comfort;
• Creates wildlife corridors;
• Improves soil quality and prevents erosion;
• Actively pursue the planting of rare and endangered
species endemic to the area;
• Carefully consider all implications prior to the removal
of any trees on the property.
• Minimise erosion along roads, creeks and gullies through
the planting of suitable vegetation;
• Develop and maintain a flora identification list of
the site including trees, shrubs and other plants of the surrounding
• Eradicate weeds throughout the site.
• Maintain and develop the site as a wildlife haven;
• Exclude feral species from the property. (includes
cats, dogs, cane toads, wild pigs and hares);
• Encourage the return of wildlife through such activities
as developing wildlife corridors and providing nesting opportunities.
Strategies to Minimise Impacts & Provide
Net Gains Where Possible
• Include species suitable for future on-site construction
projects in tree planting activities.
• Synthetic insecticides, pesticides, herbicides and
other poisons are restricted for use under By-law Clause 11.
• Investigate neutralising the effect of the Billen on
greenhouse emissions by investigating alternative energy sources
• Seek to minimise carbon emissions associated with Billen
Cliffs Village through actively encouraging the use of car pooling
and public transport by residents.
• Recognise that our village does generate noise and
seek to maintain minimum levels, as inscribed in By-law Clause 2.
• Capture all recyclable waste materials generated by
residents and other on site activities;
• Encourage the use of recyclable or bio-degradable materials
by all contractors at on site activities;
• Investigate with a view to implementing practices minimising
the waste stream.
• Actively seek alternative methods for the disposal
of wastewater (“black” water) produced by community
facilities and other on site activities.
• Encourage the practice of utilising shower wastewater
Strategies to Provide Educative Opportunities
• Establish the practice of involving many people in
the execution of environmental projects providing wider experience
and ownership of outcomes.
• Create public education through environmental presentations
at Billen events.
• Use the Internet web site to publicise all presentations
providing wider availability of information for people visiting
the Billen home pages.
• Plan the establishment of an Environment Centre on
the Billen site.
Strategies for Leading by Example
• Use our unique position to create alliances between
strata schemes, other communities, landcare groups, the environment
lobby and Government agencies.
• Use our web pages to publish our environmental policy
and appropriate article, in line with our desire to remain both
environmentally responsible and proactive.
• Create and promote a stronger image of the community
as being environmentally friendly and responsible.
• Use our participation in any public forum to influence
individuals and community groups in favour of environmental concerns.
• Enter into “partnerships” only with companies
and agencies having a strong commitment to the environment.
• Establish performance criteria and introduce an auditing
and reporting system to accurately measure our environmental performance